Shameless Plug

What's he talking about? Look below and see for yourself...

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Language is a Funny Thing

Got a phone call from a French guest a while back. It's one of my most memorable calls (right after The Big Black Beast).

GM: Yes, I'd like to make reequest for maintenance, please?
ME: Yes, ma'am. What's the problem?
GM: My douche isn't working.
(HEAVY PAUSE....)
ME: Excuse me?
GM: I say my DOUCHE isn't working.
ME: Your..douche? OHHHH!!! Your SHOWER!!???
GM: Oui, my shower!
ME: (Relieved) I'll have someone come and fix it right away.

You could imagine all the thoughts that ran through my head during that heavy pause:

1: Maybe you should shower more often
2: Try more vinegar less water
3: You don't need me, you need a gynecologist

Etc...Etc...Et Al....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course, phonetically you could not have resolved that issue so quickly if you were not bilingual. I doubt very much that any English-speaking monolingual biped would have been able to make the “ducha-douche” cross-linked-reference/inference. Is that phonetic chutzpah, or what?

free counters